Providing Affordable Family Housing in Des Moines
Welcome to Oakridge Neighborhood - where we provide affordable housing and support services to move families to sustained self-sufficiency and self-reliance. .
Established in 1969, Oakridge Neighborhood has grown into 339-unit apartment community that more than 1,000 individuals and families call home. Located on 17 acres in central Des Moines, we offer urban living in a park-like setting.
Oakridge Neighborhood is housing and much more. With the support of Oakridge Neighborhood Services, we create a safe and secure living environment where families thrive and children succeed.
Oakridge Neighborhood Services is a donor supported organization that provides a wide range of programs and social services to help:
- young children acquire early learning skills,
- school age children succeed in the public school system,
- young adults prepare for the world of work,
- new immigrants assimilate into American culture, and
- seniors live in dignity and financial security.
Oakridge Neighborhood - Sucess in 2013
- 13 of 13 eligible seniors graduated from high school -- 9 are currently enrolled in college -- 4 are actively employed
- 156 youth served in youth programming – Project OASIS and Be Real
- 42 youth gained employment in Youth Summer Employment Program
- Silver Oaks – affordable senior housing – was completed and opened
- Three Oak Academy pre-school classrooms opened in Silver Oaks to accommodate innovative intergenerational learning opportunities
- 48 adults were placed in jobs from the job readiness program
- 18 individuals completed classes and received full citizenship